Monday, December 15, 2008

Seek FIRST, not last

"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.” Matthew 6:33

With all the rush and distraction this time of year can bring, I thought I was doing so well. I was careful to avoid going overboard on gifts and to get things checked off the list early. We didn’t have as many parties to attend this year, and I had determined not to get worked up over little things.

I thought I was doing so well…Until this morning, when I let the self-generated pressure of the week hit me all at once. Too much thinking while getting ready on Monday morning will do that to a girl.

I am a planner, but every good quality has its mirror pitfalls. I doubt good planning means trying to work the whole week out in my mind before it’s really even begun. Interestingly, Jesus says in the very next verse:

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34

At least twice in the last two days has the Holy Spirit brought Jesus’s words to my mind, certain ones he used on Martha:

“Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things; but only one thing is necessary…” Luke 10:41-42

This morning, those words came as I drove to work, right after showing Gunter a touch of the same resentment Martha used on Mary.

What a stark contrast from Sunday to Monday! We spent last night worshipping and rejoicing as we performed our Christmas cantata at a church in a town nearby. But as soon as we were on the way home, the to-do list started creeping up on me.

What’s silly is that my to-do list is not so daunting. It just becomes that way when I get the necessary stuff or the stuff that would be good to do mixed up with the “only one thing necessary,” according to the One who knows.

It happens so easily when I seek last rather than first.

So I followed Dr. Akridge’s orders to “chill out” and spend a little time with God on the way to work. How different everything seems when I talk with Him rather than talking to myself.

1 comment:

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

I do the exact same thing. I drive myself nuts in the process.

Great post!