Wednesday, December 31, 2008

My hometown

A question has been haunting me since last night about 10:30. Okay, maybe “haunting” is a strong word, but it’s certainly been on my mind.

Our women’s discipleship group is going through Beth Moore’s “Stepping Up” study on the Psalms of Ascent. I’m working a little ahead because I’d like to be through it before we go to Israel (if, in fact, they decide they can play nice for long enough for us to visit).

Anyway, I was filling out my workbook, and there was one question I was unable to answer. It asked how God is using me to make a difference in my hometown. I stared at it for a good while, and then I just left it blank. It was the last thought on my mind before I turned off the lamp and the first thought when my feet hit the floor this morning.

We’ve lived in New Brockton for almost three months. Bethany Baptist Church has felt like home for quite some time. Our trailer started to feel like home as soon as the cardboard boxes thinned out. But I don’t feel as though I can call a place “my hometown” until I connect with a certain number of people outside the church. Remember, this is coming from a girl who grew up in a town, population less than 5,000, for about 15 years. Elba was definitely my hometown, and I want New Brockton to be.

I would think one of the best ways to become part of a place is to work there. However, I have a wonderful job 45 minutes away. Another way – have kids in the school system. Not even close to achieving that. Get involved in some sort of organization or volunteer? Maybe there’s an idea, though time must be invested wisely.

So as I follow God’s direction, I’ll pray for New Brockton like David sang for Jerusalem in Psalm 122 and try to be a blessing where God has me.

Pray for peace in Jerusalem.
May all who love this city prosper.
O Jerusalem, may there be peace within your walls
and prosperity in your palaces.
For the sake of my family and friends, I will say,
“May you have peace.”
For the sake of the house of the Lord our God,
I will seek what is best for you, O Jerusalem.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Bethany - I just stumbled upon this somehow after linking to it from something you posted on Heather's wall. I bet if you re-evaluate this now, you will see that you have definitely made an impact in New Brockton.....take it from a hometown girl - I'm definitely glad you are here!!!