Friday, May 1, 2009

What a day!

I'm trying to remember another time when somebody's told me I was too sweet and had the numbers to prove it. Nope, nothing is coming to mind.


But according to advanced medical technology, I am sweeter than the average expecting mom. At least, that's what I derived when I failed my glucose test yesterday. Maybe "failed" is too harsh of a word. The cutoff is 140 (whatever that means), and my number was 140. Could it have been the bowl(s) of cereal I ate around 11 or 11:30 the night before? The doctor said no, but the nurse advised me not to eat anything after 8 p.m. the next time. The rules need to be more specific. They said nothing after midnight, so I thought 11:30 would be fine!


I was quite shocked, considering I've had problems with low blood sugar in the past.


So I go back next week for the 3-hour test. If I fail it, we might still be able to regulate my blood sugar with diet instead of insulin. I had never noticed before yesterday, but being diabetic makes eating out really hard! Bread, pasta and potatoes are everywhere! And what about fruit, with all those natural sugars? I'm not sure what my diet would consist of if I could have no bread or fruit.


In good news, the doctor said my hippopotamus feet slight swelling was normal.


The afternoon was a little more successful. We finally picked out a crib! Munire was one brand we had heard/read great things about, but I had sort of written it off as being way more expensive than others under consideration. But yesterday, they had this set on sale at Our New Baby, and it turned out to be cheaper than some of the others.




We got the crib and the combo dresser (not the hutch on top), a mattress and the conversion kit. Hopefully, this furniture will last until she leaves for college -- with more scholarship money than she knows what to do with, of course. I have a feeling we're going to need more pieces for storage, but we'll just solve that problem by not letting her have a lot of clothes. Ha.


Since I wasn't getting back to work in time to do anything productive at this point, we drove north a ways to visit our friends Adam and Anna and their new baby. I actually held him without much fuss, and he was only a little bit miserable. I was afraid I was emitting so much heat that I was burning him through his blankets. There's just something about a hospital room that raises my temperature to little above comfortable.


Oh, well. Better get used to it, huh?

5 comments:

Debbie K. said...

Cute post, Bethany! And you look so beautiful.
When I was pregnant with my first child, I had high blood sugar problems. The problem went away after she was born.
And great choice on the furniture. You won't be disappointed.
Take care!
~Debbie K.

Josh and Lyndsay said...

Bethany, you look soooo cute!! Even though we have a long way to go, I have already been looking at baby furniture and bedding!! Have yall decided on a name yet!!

bethany@sippinsweetteablog said...

No final name decision yet. We do have a couple of favorites, though. :-)

Anonymous said...

Beth, you look SO beautiful! I'm praying that you get good results next week! I love the furniture too! Can't wait to see you soon!

Love,
Jenn

The Macks said...

Hello! I failed my first glucose test too...same as you...borderline. I passed the three hour test though. I hope you do the same!