Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Daughter's Worth -- worth a look

If you're looking for a good book to use for girls' Bible study or Sunday school, I have a recommendation -- "A Daughter's Worth" by Ava Sturgeon.

I wasn't so sure about it at first because I was afraid the whole study would be on the same subject -- that we're valuable to God. That's not a bad subject, but 12 weeks of it could get more than a little redundant. When I saw the table of contents, I was pleasantly surprised, but not as much as when I began to go through the study on my own.

I found that, though the lessons were short, simple and easy to understand, they were still thought-provoking and challenging. This study could work for groups of girls who had known the Bible/been believers for a long time or for brand new Christians/younger girls. Or, in our case, 7th-12th grade girls, a mother of four teacher in her 20s and one 20-something sit-in (me).

The only thing I thought was lacking in "A Daughter's Worth" were suggestions for group activities or illustrations to make the lesson more interactive and interesting. However, I guess the book makes up for it in that it's really geared toward discussion.

We're on our last week in the book, so now we're looking for other ideas for Sunday school. If you have any resources or ideas, please feel free to share!

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Sounds interesting. I will have to check it out. Thanks for sharing!

How are you feeling?