Saturday, July 25, 2009

Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow...

This was supposed to be my 35-week update, but I’m really not sure what week I’m updating from. Neither are my doctors.

I went in for an appointment on Thursday thinking I was 35 weeks along, but I measured 37. I guess a lot of that baby banter I had been hearing for weeks was somewhat on track:

“You look ready!”
“There’s no way you’ll make it to August 25.”
“You look like you’ve dropped.”

I don’t doubt it. Right now, they estimate the baby weighs 6.5 pounds. If she keeps growing like she has, she’ll either be born earlier than we thought, or she’ll be big. The doctor said her growth could slow down, though, putting her closer to normal size and closer to my due date. She still appears to be head-down.

In summary, she could be born anytime between today and 5 weeks from now. Yeah.

I’m thankful that she’s progressing well, but I’d like to have a better estimate than that. It’s unreal and exciting that D-Day could be so close. I learned a valuable lesson this week – only God knows when babies will be born.

I really think my doctors are more laid-back than most. They’re not at all concerned about the constant swelling in my feet because my blood pressure is good. I’ve been wearing flipflops to work lately, calling them my maternity dress sandals. But even flipflops leave marks behind when I take them off.

They’ve set my next appointment in two weeks (they almost let it slip to three, but I protested). I think I’ll keep working at least that long and maybe go on leave if the doctor thinks I’m still progressing at this rate.

As for now, I’ve realized that I need to kick the baby preparations into high gear. We have our last shower this afternoon, and after that, I’ll go on a shopping/washing/organizing/cleaning frenzy!

By the way, Gunter painted my toenails for me this morning. Next Saturday, I'll have a spa pedicure, compliments of my "twin" and her husband. If my feet continue to swell, the spa people will have quite a bit of real estate to work on.

2 comments:

The Macks said...

I had a pedicure the day I went to be induced. My feet had three rolls along the tops of them. The little lady working there asked when I was due...you should have seen her face when I answered, "Today!"...priceless!

Katelyn Ellis said...

She'll be here before you know it...and just so you know...she'll come when she wants to = )! Keep us posted!