Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Postpartum post

Postpartum class was quite helpful last night. I got a little woozy near the beginning, as I have during every class, but it wasn’t too bad. I really appreciated how detailed it was, including the ever-popular visual aids.

One such visual aid was a mini-Jacuzzi the hospital sends home with each patient. That’s not what they called it, but I like “mini-Jacuzzi” better. Thanks, Blue Cross! I told Gunter I would make it into a footbath for pedicures as soon as I can reach my feet again.

The nurse didn’t say anything about massages curing baby blues, but I think she assumed we already knew that.

I’m slightly concerned about not getting to eat when I’m in labor – me, the girl who eats every 2-3 hours. (Of all the things to dread, right?) Maybe the majority of my labor won’t happen from 5 a.m.-noon. That’s when I’m the hungriest. I think they don’t let you eat because they’re afraid you’ll get sick, but they don’t know that the opposite is true with me. Even worse, if you have a C section, you apparently don’t get to eat for days!

Gunter’s just going to have to find a drive-through on the way to the hospital. I’ll be sipping the last of my milkshake as we sign in.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes. Definitely eat before you go to the hospital or swing thru a drive-thru on your way there. Calories = energy. You need all the energy you can get! But, luckily, once you're in the hospital, eating is the last thing on your mind. Believe me, you won't miss food until after the baby is born and then you are free to eat whatever as long as you don't have a c-section.

Debbie K. said...

Bethany, your posts are so enjoyable and make me laugh. I know you are worried about a lot of things - first baby and all. But you will be so intent on labor and what is going on that you won't even think about food. I do agree with Melissa, go get you something to eat before checking into the hospital (if you have time). My babies came so fast that I did not have time to think about food. Maybe this will be your case.

Pb and J said...

You are so funny! I was the same way with Prescott - i ate Snicker's bars and drank milkshakes while eating chicken fingers and spaghetti nearly all day every day. i was an eating machine (me, right?). However, after I went into labor, I felt too sick to eat and after the c-section i just wanted to hold the baby and sleep. they did let me have breakfast the next morning (the best meal i ever ate!!) and let me eat through the day after that. With all that's going on, you really do kind of forget about food. If it becomes an issue, though, I'll be glad to sneak you something in...since their going to be cleaning everything else up anyway, what's a little sickness :)?