Friday, April 3, 2009

IT'S A GIRL!!!

A very active girl, according to the ultrasound tech, who had trouble getting her to be still enough to measure. (Since my ultrasound was around 8:30 a.m., I hope it’s a sign that she’s an early-to-bed morning person like her Mama.) She weighs 10 ounces and is about 6 inches long from head to bottom – right in line with my August 25 due date.

We saw all her little bones and organs and got to watch her move for a while. She put her hands in her face, she shifted and bounced and stretched…It’s still hard to make the connection that what I saw on the monitor was actually going on inside me. I haven’t been able to feel much until this point, but now that I know where her feet and hands are, it seems like I’m realizing that a lot of what I was feeling was not digestion or blood circulation but was actually tiny aerobics, especially those little feet right behind my belly button.

Needless to say, we are quite excited about having a daughter, though we would have been just as happy to have a son. I’ve always wanted a daughter so we could hopefully be as close as my mom and I are.

To answer your next question, she has no name just yet, but we’ve been tossing around a few. I’m not sold on any of them, so don’t be surprised if it’s still quite a while before we settle on one for sure. That many possibilities are not good for my indecisive self.
We were especially happy that everything still looked okay. Isn't it amazing how God takes a single cell (remarkable in itself) and causes it to grow, not just into a bigger bunch of cells but into a complex being with specialized organs, a spine, fingers and toes, and a personality...miraculous! You've come a long way from the blob you were, Baby!

6 comments:

Mary Tyler S. said...

I am so happy for you! Little girls are the sweetest. I'm not far behind you and I can't wait to find out!

Debbie K. said...

Congratulations!!! Daughters are so precious. She will have you and Gunter wrapped around her little finger not long after she arrives.
Misty is having a little girl - due May 12th. We are so excited to see "pink". Jerryn Hayes is excited right now about his new little sister, but we are not sure how long that excitement will last once she arrives. I was advising Gwen yesterday on all the neat places to shop for baby girl clothing. So watch out!

Melissa said...

Yay! I'm so excited to hear the name you pick out (and secretly hope it's not one on my list). It IS all so amazing! I'm so thankful our Creator allows us to experience His miraculous works so intimately!

Sherry said...

Oh, Congratulations! I know you must be so excited!

The ultrasound pics are great!. Everytime I see one I can't help but think of Psalm 139 -- so personal -- our God is so personal and sees your little girl while she is being formed and knit together in her mother's womb!

Josh and Lyndsay said...

Congrats!! I'm so excited for yall!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I know you and Gunter and all the grandparents are so excited. I cannot imagine how excited your Mom & Dad must be! Little girls are so much fun to shop for! Kelley Michelle is due in a little over a month. We are all excited and cannot wait to see how Jerryn Hayes reacts. Again, congrats! I am so excited for you!

Misty Tindol