Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Baby gear Q&A week: Question #2

Thank you all for the great comments on my previous post! Let me just say that I love April’s suggestion, and I’ll be looking for a copy of “Baby Bargains” this weekend. Until then, just for fun, I’d like to continue our week of baby gear Q&A.

If you haven’t had a baby recently, you’re probably wondering, “What’s with the space ship?” If you have, you probably already hold an opinion about this little contraption of controversy, the Diaper Genie.

Is it a disposal disappointment or essential equipment? How would you rank the smell factor?

Talk about having a baby changing your life! I can't believe I'm blogging about dirty diapers or their smell.


A friend at work just got one of these, a Diaper Champ, and she swears by it. Supposedly, you can use regular garbage bags, and even her 5-year-old can operate it.

And then I have a friend who is a fan of neither. Diaper disposal around his house was simple – tie them up in Wal-Mart sacks, toss them in the kitchen garbage can and take out the trash every day.

What do you think? Do any of these pail in comparison to others?

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Honestly, tiny baby diapers aren't that stinky, especially breast-fed babies (from what I hear, although I don't have any experience with formula-fed). They don't stink until the baby starts eating solids, and then YUCK!

I think the special diaper pails are a little bit too much, something you can skip. We don't use our Diaper Genie II. Expensive refills, not that much better than a covered trash can and taking the trash out (as in, outside) each night.

Mary Tyler S. said...

Diaper Champ ALL THE WAY. you can use regular trash bags - ALL my friends swear by them and tell me to absolutely get one. The Genie is expensive and you have to have the genie liners which can be very expensive.

From my personal experience, a friends "Champ" was full and I decided to change the trash bag in there - honey if I couldn't smell those things, then no one could.

Have you been crib shopping yet?

Mike and Tabo said...

I have a diaper champ and you can definitely smell them, not while the lid is closed, but when you change the bag, the inside of the pail keeps a smell. But I still love it, I'm thinking that I just didn't take mine out enough. I use it until the lid won't turn anymore'

The Reeds said...

We have the Diaper Champ and really like it. I would register for one, and you will probably get it for a shower gift:)

Anonymous said...

We have the Diaper Genie II, which is actually cheaper than the Diaper Champ when both are regularly priced (per Babies R Us) and they are the same when both are on sale. One refill lasts us for almost 2 weeks. The refills are $5 at Target, and I consider them worth every penny!

Whatever model you decide to use, I would recommend spraying some lysol in the can each time you take out the bag. I spray the inside where the bag is as well as the flap where the diaper falls through.

Happy Shopping! Love,Jenn