Wednesday, April 15, 2009

New life and more new life


My favorite holiday has come and gone. Don’t get me wrong – Christmas is probably the most fun, but there’s something about that whole victory-over-sin-and-death thing that gets me every Easter.

Here we are at church, I believe the first Easter we’ve even remotely matched. Because this is the South, Easter dresses still tend to be a big deal for some people, but I don’t have to have an Easter dress every year. Usually, I just wear something springy. This year was a little more difficult as I only have a couple of dresses that fit, and maternity dresses that look decent are not easy to find. Mama bought me this dress before I started showing, and I have concluded that when you’re pregnant, dressing like a big Minnie Mouse might not be the best idea.

We spent a beautiful afternoon on Gunter’s mom’s back porch, a.k.a. what should be the location of the next Southern Living photo shoot. Family gatherings like that do me good because I know we’re going to be there a while, and I have nothing to do while I’m there but sit and enjoy people.

Of course, growing up at Bailey family gatherings, it’s ingrained in my belief system that holidays = you can eat as much food as you want, as long as you’re relaxing on the back porch. So I blame my pleasurable and carefree upbringing for the sugar overload that made me feel bad Sunday night. When you’ve been drinking almost nothing but water and doing your best to eat on the healthy side of the fence, your body has trouble handling such extravagance.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In more recent news, Gunter and I went to our first childbirth class last night. It wasn’t as fun as I had imagined, but it was good for me. I wonder if I was the only one who got woozy when the subject turned to bursting of membranes. I know I was the only one the teacher/nurse laughed at because I partially covered my eyes during the epidural video. I am such a medical wimp. And I don’t get much sympathy from my chemo-veteran husband.

The baby kicked a lot during the class, as if to say, “NO! Don’t let them do it!”

All I can say is, most of those girls in the class are a lot closer to all that than I am. I actually wore a shirt that made me look more pregnant, since I’m starting these classes so early. From the looks of things, some of the others probably should have started sooner.

I enjoyed seeing the labor and delivery rooms, postpartum rooms and the nursery. In fact, I’ve never seen hospital rooms that nice. They look more like big rooms in somebody’s well-decorated house (not mine).

Well, lunch is over, so I'm back to work. Happy Wednesday (that feels like Friday but it's not)!

1 comment:

Your Husband said...

I am sympathetic, just maybe not so empathetic in this case. Don't wanna go there in my mind!