Thursday, March 26, 2009

Spring green

I don’t know about y’all, but I’m starting to get spring fever. I’ve noticed some urges developing that I didn’t have just a couple of weeks ago. I have a mysterious desire to buy new spring clothes (not surprising, but potentially dangerous), do things outside and go to the beach!

Even more surprising, I’d like to spend my Saturday cleaning out our junkroom(s), one of which will turn into a nursery. Now, how much sense does that make? If I were smart, I’d put it off until I was so big I couldn’t move and let other people clean out my junk. That, along with at least the beach trip, will probably have to be put off momentarily for more pressing projects (e.g., Israel presentation Sunday night and VBS clinic next month). Maybe my enthusiasm will not have faded by then.

About this time every year I get a hankering for plantlife, to cultivate happy green and flowery things around my yard. The funny part is, either I did not inherit the green thumb from my mom, Aunt Pam, Dear Grandmother and PawPaw, or it just hasn’t budded yet. So every year I start out with mostly hand-me-downs from the real gardeners, which is sad because these plants go from an environment where they’ve been loved and cared for to a place where they completely fend for themselves, exposed to all the harsh elements.

I never cease to be amazed by how resilient plants actually are. I have learned that certain petunias and mums can morph into types of winter cacti, going months with no water and withstanding hard freeze after hard freeze. They’re like Lazarus. Every winter, I think I’ve surely lost them. I’m not the expert horticulturalist, but in my mind, brown and rotten = dead. And yet, when I arrived home from Israel, there they were, in as much green glory as they could muster, fighting back the brown twigs left from last year.

I’m just not sure what I’m going to do about the wooden barrel of ivy that has persisted through a covering of clover weeds and a giant ant bed.

And those are the plants I have displayed near my front porch! You don’t even want to know about the ones on the back porch.

Victims I’ve collected so far this spring: a snowball tree and a red crabapple tree from Pam and Grammama, and mums from Mama. I asked if the snowball tree could be dug up and transplanted the next time we move, but the poor thing probably won’t live that long anyway.

I really will try, though, I promise. With all the rain we're getting, maybe they won’t drown in their temporary bucket home before I can plant them.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

You're crackin' me up! I share your love for plants that don't necessarily love me back—they don't tend to thrive under my care. But, alas, I will be trying some potted flowers this year. Woe to them. Good luck to you!

Debbie K. said...

LOL! I am grinning about your "Victims" comment. And I agree with you, wait until you are too big to move and then you can sit back in a nice comfy chair and have people clean out your junk room while you supervise. Use being pregnant to your advantage!!!