Friday, March 6, 2009

Bon voyage!


I have quite a bit still left to do before we leave for Israel, so this might be the last time I’m able to write for a while. I’ll do my best to update the blog while we’re there, but I can’t guarantee that I’ll have time or easy access to the Internet. So if you don’t hear from me for the next 2 weeks, no need to worry. Just pray instead.

I haven’t been nervous until last night, but I knew it was coming. I don’t feel anxious right now, but I woke up about 3:00 this morning with my nerves tingling. It hit me again immediately when the alarm went off. I must have been dreaming about the trip because Gunter said I was saying strange words and talking about the “Israel house” in my sleep. I can’t imagine how I’m going to feel when the time comes to actually leave.

I had a doctor’s appointment yesterday, and everything looks normal. We heard the baby’s heartbeat and all, so that made me feel much better before leaving the country for 11 days! My next appointment is April 2, and I’ll have an ultrasound that day.

Packing is a big ordeal for me…It’s a complex and detailed process. I began the endeavor months ago by making lists. A few weeks ago, I shopped and accumulated. Then came the pile-making (in the den and bathroom floors). Last night, I narrowed down what I will wear and washed.

In the midst of last night’s efforts, I determined that I will not bring one “normal” pair of pants. Actually, I’m not bringing a single pair with buttons or zippers. It’s a good thing I went ahead and bought those maternity jeans, huh? I’m bringing one pair of maternity jeans, one (or two?) pair of maternity khakis, and the rest are stretchy lounge-type pants. I won’t be in the running for best dressed, but I should be comfortable.

We now have the suitcases we will use, including carry-ons. I get one “personal item” in addition to my carry on (e.g. a purse, laptop case or something of similar size).

Size -- ha.

I went to Walmart and bought a heavy-canvas hobo purse so big, it’s like having a second carry-on. My philosophy is, if it’s allowed, make it count.

Tomorrow is set aside for for-real packing and cleaning house.

We’ll arrive in D.C. late Sunday night, spend the night there and fly to Austria at 7:50 Monday night. We should get to Israel sometime Tuesday. If all goes as planned, we’ll be back in Alabama on Thursday, March 19.

Hopefully, you’ll hear from me again in a few days. If not, I hope you have a blessed couple of weeks!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Have a wonderful time!! We'll miss you, but I can't wait to hear all about the trip when you get back!

Sherry said...

Have a wonderful time! After your trip, you will not see the Bible the same as before. It will come to life more than ever. You will actually picture places in your head as you read of them. Such places might be the Sea of Galilee (Lake Tiberias), Capernaum, Caesarea, etc.

Good luck on your packing. I carry on a large tote that is big enough to carry my purse & camera bag. They count it as one :)

We will all be excited to hear about your trip when you get back.