Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Valuables

Heather at And Now I'm a Grown-Up tagged me, so here goes... I'm supposed to list six things I value and six things I don't value, but I'm changing the number to five because I just like the number five better and because I can't help but expound a little on each. These are in no particular order.

Things I value:
1. True love, the kind that reaches beyond my loveworthiness. I am left speechless every time God reveals a small glimpse to me of the depth of His love, and when I see a glimmer of that love in other people. I've been thinking about this a lot lately, so I'll write more later. My heart beats fast just thinking about it.

2. Time with family. I'm finally coming to grips that so many things I devote my time to don't matter as much as others. I know certain obligations are necessary (such as my job and housework), but their value is often much less than the reward of investing time with special people. I spent Monday evening with my Dear Grandmother (pronounced deer grand-MU-ther), and my heart sure does miss that time with her and with many others. I've got to make time. Got to.

3. Wise counsel. I love that when I'm wrestling with something, a thoughtful talk with one of my trusted advisers brings clarity. I'm often irrational, and I'm so glad when someone brings me back to reality.

4. Laughter, the sincere, honest kind. Life can be so funny, no matter the situation.

5. Meaningful experiences. I know this is about as broad as I could get, but this could include meeting someone new, fond memories from childhood or doing something well.



Things I don't value:
1. Excessive complaining. Of course, I whine sometimes, and I like when people feel free to vent to me. But there is something good about everything and everyone. I couldn't imagine hating everything about life and wallowing in pity 24/7.

2. Insincerity. I'm fairly naive, so if someone doesn't like something I've done, I would really rather know it up front. It bothers me when I'm not sure where I stand with someone. Sometimes I wish I were a mindreader!

3. Depression. I hate when people are down (I'm talking an extended period of time and can't shake it sort of down). I don't like the fact that sometimes there is nothing I can say or do to pull them out of that rut.

4. Being lost, as in on the road. I get that way from time to time, and it makes me especially nervous when I'm headed somewhere I have to be at a certain time.

5. That pesky afternoon slump. Some days, it's not bad at all, but then other days... It's that hour or two in the afternoon when my brain won't work and my body is ready to shut down. Then comes the second wind, and everything is much better.


So there's my list. I won't tag anyone, but if you'd like to participate, consider yourself tagged!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Enjoyed your list. Like you, I tend to be naive, so I appreciate sincerity over white-lies. I also tend to over-anaylize and often wonder how people really feel about me. Anyway, as you can tell, I'm in one of those "afternoon slumps."
Here I go...getting back to work now.