Saturday, October 25, 2008

Gunter Akridge, a.k.a. MacGyver

You can already hear the theme song playing in your head, can't you?
So the other day, Gunter calls me and asks, "Know where I could get some spandex?"

Hm... I'm not sure what my answer should be to a question like that.

Let me back up.

At any given moment, Gunter has these brilliant ideas bouncing around in his head...mostly about what we need at the church in the form of sound equipment, screens, lights, etc. He hardly ever buys anything because that sort of stuff is high as a cat's back expensive, but he does have some great ideas.

One of said great ideas is getting a rear-projection screen in the sanctuary for the choir. (Due to the layout of things, a front-projection screen won't work.) From what I hear, rear-projection screens cost like, $900. So that's pretty much a no-go.

He noticed the church we visited in Destin had a screen for the choir made out of a stretchy material, which turned out to be spandex and lycra. He found those online for about $300.

Setting out to make his own screen and frame, he was on the hunt for spandex. Calls and visits to several local fabric stores were none too fruitful.

The final result? This money-saving MacGyver of a man made a rear-projection screen from some thumbtacks, a BEDSHEET he found upstairs in the church and a borrowed/donated projector. Allow me to calculate the savings:

$900 > free

And there you have it. Gunter Akridge, saving God's money, one bedsheet screen at a time.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Hahahaha...this is GREAT!

Anonymous said...

MacGyver....or Redneck?! Either way, he's officially hit hero status for me! hehe!!! I've always loved the fact that my husband could build a house using electrical tape!! Well, actually, he's never REALLY built a house using electrical tape--although I'm sure there's a piece or two stashed in the walls of his brother's house--BUT, nonetheless, I have no doubts that he could!!!