Thursday, October 30, 2008

It's that time again.

It's almost time for Gunter's 3-month scans at the Cancer Center. He'll have a CT scan Monday, November 10, at 10:30 a.m. We'll meet with Dr. D for the results on Thursday, November 13, at 3:30 p.m.

We can't take good reports for granted or assume that this one will have the same result as the last couple have. The likelihood of a recurrence is highest during these first two years, but we can't trust in statistics. Instead, we trust the One who gives and takes away, and who is altogether good, no matter how He chooses to direct our steps. (Job 1:21)

Life can seem so overwhelming when we focus on circumstances, but when we fix our gaze on Him, it's amazing how the scenery changes.

Of course, it's not so hard to trust God when there's nothing else you can do. We have absolutely no control over whether that cancer reappears. It's tougher to focus on Him when we're in the midst of circumstances we (wrongly) feel as though we can control.

That's something I've been realizing lately. Anything I focus on other than God becomes an idol in my life. It's been a while since my relationship with Him has been just that -- me and Him, without me rationing my attention to a bunch of worthwhile pursuits. But it's so romantic how He always calls me back, reminds me to seek Him first. Every part of my life hinges on that.

Ahem, back to Gunter's scans. Please say a prayer for us as we approach scan time again. We'd like to set up permanent residence here in happy remission. Thank you so much!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'll be our prayers... also, thanks for your comment... you struck the nail on the head when you mentioned feeling not needed... bingo... that's it. Thanks again for the encouragement...

Sherry said...

You are in my prayers. Thanks for sharing.