Monday, October 20, 2008

Shoo, flu!

Got my flu shot today. I can’t believe it’s been a year already!

Gunter was taking chemo at this time last year, so germs were a big concern for me…not so much for him, but I was a germaphobe, and I knew it. I could be mean about it.

I remember, someone brought her sick baby to work one day, and I almost had a panic attack. I could have given a piece of my mind to a couple of women who never washed their hands on the way out of the bathroom, their next stop the company breakroom. I kept Lysol, Clorox and Germex in business.

Funny, last year was my first time to ever get the flu shot and my first time to ever get the flu. Gunter and I both had it, though our cases were mild. Apparently, we got the strand not covered by the flu shot.

I went to the doctor the same day I started feeling bad and filled two prescriptions for Tamiflu by that afternoon. We sick folks were in good company. One pharmacy in our town ran completely out, and the wait at Wal-Mart was 3 hours long.

Now that chemo is over, germs just don’t scare me like they used to. No big deal. But I got another flu shot because I know that somewhere, someone with an at-risk loved one is nervous about flu season.

From someone who’s been there, please be considerate this flu season. I’m not insisting that everyone should get vaccinated, but if you get sick, do all you can to prevent your germs from spreading. A little sneeze here and there might not mean a lot to most of us, but it means an awful lot to others…maybe even the person in the very next cubicle.

4 comments:

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bethany@sippinsweetteablog said...

I was very proud of how brave YOU were when your arm wouldn't move!

Anonymous said...

Bet,

I didn't know that you were so flu-ent about germs! I am glad you got the point about preventative measures. You are a special treasure to all who read but you were in my heart before you were in this world! Keep it up!

Love,

Daddy

Heather said...

I deleted my previous comment because it had a typo and it was driving me nuts!! But as I said earlier, I am very proud of you! :)