Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Punctuation Pride

To all my "word nerd" friends out there, happy National Punctuation Day!

I know what all of you non-word nerds are thinking, but I beg to differ. You might not realize it, but punctuation is important and even FUN. Punctuation allows us to write in a way that is actually read like conversation. And misunderstood communication is a very dangerous thing, my friends.

Show me a sentence written with correct punctuation, and I'll show you someone whose credibility has just gone way up.

So, in celebration of National Punctuation Day, go hug a hyphen, embrace some ellipses, praise a parenthesis, brag on a bracket and commend a comma. I could think of a million more, but I just get nerdier by the minute.

4 comments:

Christi said...

I LOVE IT!!

I say we take the rest of the day off...this should be a national holiday!

:)

Anonymous said...

I, myself, am not a word-nerd (i.e. I can barely spell) and I don’t know that “fun” is the word I would use to describe punctuation. But, in the spirit/theme of word-nerdiness, I offer the following…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo

Hey! Was that so hard? Maybe I’m a word-nerd after all because I used: comma, hyphen, parenthesis, apostrophe, quotes, period, ellipses, exclamation point, question mark, and a colon.

Anonymous said...

Frankly; I don"t know? what! to say. about! this: punctuation,etc. deal,

Love-!/.,

Daddy

Heather said...

Haha. You are hilarious. I love it!