Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Maternity leave day 1/2

A picture is worth a thousand words, but two swollen feet are evidently worth a ticket home. Let me break it down into an equation:

Doctor’s appointment + (7.5- to 8-pound baby on the way) + caring folks at work = maternity leave before lunchtime

As of my appointment yesterday, I’m still measuring 2 weeks ahead of schedule, which I guess puts me at 39 weeks and a couple days. The doctor estimated the baby could weigh 7.5 to 8 pounds by now. He said we’d rather have a big, healthy baby than one who’s not ready. I agree. I’d rather not be induced if I don’t have to be.

He thought Bailey was head-down, but he wasn’t sure. She doesn’t like to be grabbed or prodded, so she put up quite a fight when he tried to feel her out. Everything else looked good, and I’ll see my regular doctor next week if I haven’t gone into labor by then.

Doc still wasn’t concerned about my feet, but the folks at work were when I showed up this morning. I was willing to work the rest of the week if they really wanted me to, but they told me to go on home and put my feet up. No argument here. I am now officially on maternity leave, so I can do housework goof off rest until Bailey shows up.

I actually did prop them up for a couple hours this afternoon, and I was amazed at how much better they felt…until I was on them again. I guess Gunter was right – propping them on a stool underneath my desk is not the same as “up.”

Being home makes me feel a lot better about the unknown. I’m not in a big hurry for her to come now (except for that 8+ pounds thing), but I doubt it will be too much longer.

2 comments:

Samantha said...

Bethany, I'm so glad you are not working anymore! Your feet are definitely nice and plumpy!!! haha! Add that to your baby banter...I remember when mine were so swollen I couldn't get my feet in any shoes! Don't worry, you look awesome. You'll look back at your pictures with longing years from now. How exciting to know that in a few short days, you're going to have a sweet little babe in your arms instead of your tummy! Take care of yourself, but be busy...she'll be here before you know it! Happy "Mommyhood" to you!

Katelyn Ellis said...

Yay for maternity leave!!!