Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Discoveries from maternity leave week 1

Discovery #1
Cooking and eating at home supposedly saves money by avoiding restaurant food costs. Ah, but cooking costs a lot, too, when you add up:

the price of food + gas for trips to the grocery store + electricity it takes to run the stove and oven + electricity for the air conditioner to offset kitchen heat + electricity and water to clean the kitchen, wash the dishes and run the dishwasher

I think I've been loading and unloading our dishwasher every day for the past few days, and I'm not even a serious cook.


Discovery #2
Cooking can be fulfilling for a Southern woman, even if it's really simple stuff not picked from one's own garden. For example, I made my first fruit cobbler yesterday. This is about as "from scratch" as it gets around here. I've never been a big dessert-maker, so Gunter wondered what was going on. Well, for the first time in my life, I understand the importance of sweets.

I discovered that peaches can be hard to peel because they're so slippery underneath that fuzzy exterior. My favorite part of this recipe was eating peach peelings and bread crust as I went. I couldn't bear to waste some of the best parts.

Ingredients:
A buttered 8x8 baking pan
5 to 6 peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced (the ones at Walmart were HUGE, so I only used 3)
5 slices of white bread
1 1/2 cups sugar (I accidentally used 2 1/2 cups. No wonder it was so sweet!)
1 egg
1 stick of butter, melted
2 tablespoons of flour (not a common item in my house, but I had some because Gunter plans to make biscuits at some point)

Directions:
Place peaches in the buttered 8x8 baking pan. Cut crust from the bread and slice into fine fingers. Place the bread fingers over the peaches. Mix sugar, flour, egg and butter, and pour over fruit and bread. Bake 35-45 minutes until golden brown.


Discovery #3
It is possible to sleep past 7 a.m. I can't do it without waking up first and making a conscious effort to go back to sleep, but it can be done. That's all I'll say about that. I don't want to rub it in the face of all you working folks. But for months, people have been telling me to get all the rest I can because now is the last time I'll ever sleep in my entire life...ever. So I'm trying.


Discovery #4
It's difficult to reach my laptop keys, so I'm going to take a break now.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Sounds like fun at your place! A tip for peeling peaches from my sis-in-law (which she got, of course, from the Internet): Boil the peaches whole for about 30 seconds, then immediately place them into an ice water bath. After they cool completely in the bath, rub them gently to loosen the skin, then peel it off. She said it worked really well. Do enjoy your rest!

Debbie K. said...

Hi Bethany! Just checking in on you. You have been busy. Sorry we missed you & Gunter Monday night @ Westside. Kayla graduated from Auburn and we did not make it back in time for revival.
Hope it won't be long now for Bailey's arrival. I know you are ready. Can't wait to meet her.

Take care!
~Debbie K.