Sunday, May 4, 2008

New church


I guess now it's official. Gunter has accepted a full-time music and youth minister position at Bethany Baptist Church in New Brockton. (From this point forward, I will affectionately refer to it as "Brockton," except in proper names, as many of the locals do.) May 25 will be our first Sunday there.

Resigning from Northern Heights last night was one of the hardest things we've ever done. It truly takes a step of faith to leave the most loving church family we've ever known, even though we already love many of the folks at Bethany. This transition is bittersweet. We'll miss seeing the Northern Heights folks every week, but we're so excited about this next step in our ministry and what God has in store. We trust that God will continue to use Northern Heights to reach Opp and that He will use Bethany as a light to Enterprise and New Brockton.

Bethany is located on the edge of a fast-growing area. It is a couple of miles from where the new Enterprise mall and Enterprise High School will be built, and subdivisions are popping up all along the church's road...so much opportunity to reach people who don't know Jesus. It's also conveniently located just a couple of miles from New Brockton High School.

More good news is that it's close enough that I can keep my job and stay where we've been living for now because we like it and because it's only a 12-minute drive for me to work. Eventually, maybe we'll look into moving closer to Enterprise, so we can be more a part of the area.

In an interesting turn of events, the pastor of Bethany Baptist is none other than my favorite preacher, Tony Dye. At first, we wouldn't even consider going to Bethany because we didn't know if it would be a good idea to serve in the same church as Mom and Dad, but as a result of a patient search committee and lots of prayer and tears, we decided this was what God wanted us to do. Learning to serve together will be quite an experience, I'm sure.

So thank you, Northern Heights, for 2 and a half of the best years of our lives! This is not goodbye -- there are no goodbyes among members of the body of Christ. And thank you, Bethany, for your warm welcome. We look forward to great things.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so I am so jealous...and so wish I could be under your dear old dad ... he is and always be my pastor and your sweet mother well -- we just love you guys and will have to visit this summer while we are down... Mark and I have the highest respect for your parents and the apple does not fall far from the tree my dear... you and Gunter are amazing as well...and God will do great things in and through your ministry ...can't wait to share the news with mother and daddy -- we all know how blessed Bethany is to have such a great shepards...

~*Kathi*~ said...

I just found your journal on married to the ministry blogroll...I really like your blog and am adding to my favorites so I can come back and visit. I wish you the best in your new church...changes are hard, but they are all part of the seasons that we experiance in life. God Bless You!
Kathi

http://theassistantpastorswife.blogspot.com/