Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Bethany's first week...at Bethany


Our first Sunday and Wednesday at the new church have come and gone, and things went pretty well. Of course, it doesn't yet feel like "home" or "family," but maybe it will soon. Gunter seems to be getting in the groove, but I think it's going to take a little time for me to find my niche. It seems as though the people at Bethany really step up and use their gifts to serve, so I'll just follow God's lead on where I'm needed (along with, of course, supporting the music and youth minister).

We got to talk with the youth a little more tonight and met some for the first time. The group is older (mostly juniors, seniors or new grads), with just a couple 9th graders. A few 6th graders will move up this summer, so that's sure to be an interesting mix. We'll have to get some more youth coming to fill in those age gaps. I think my main job right now is to pray. I'm at the "Where do we start?" phase. I'm excitedly anticipating what God will do.

We're praying about our living situation, and I'd like some godly counsel, especially from you ministry wives. Right now, we're renting a house (that we like) about 30 minutes away from church and about 15 minutes away from my work. We want to be accessible to the youth, so we're thinking about moving really close to the church, which would put me driving 45 minutes to an hour one way to work every day. It would make Gunter's traveling easier, though, and he usually has to make more trips than I do.

Actually, we've considered living in a trailer the church owns, rent free. I'm not big on trailers, but it would allow us to financially prepare for the future a little, and it's located almost in the church's front yard. We'd like to buy a house in or near Enterprise when the time is right. Whaddya think?

Being the planner I am, my mind has been reeling with decisions and possibilities the past couple of weeks. This would be a good time to "be still and know that [He] is God," so says Psalm 49:10.

By the way, Gunter made the cross in the photo out of a sweet gum tree behind our house. The brand-spankin'-new youth room is pretty bare, like a canvas begging to be painted. We plan to liven it up in time, and hopefully God will use us in people's lives much the same way. I want my every act of obedience to be like a kiss on God's cheek. (John 14:15)

1 comment:

Mocha with Linda said...

Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog!

Love the cross! Your guy's off to a great start setting up that room.

My feeling is to be close to the church. I know that's a pain for you. But especially with youth and the summer starting, there will be lots of activities!

And even the trailer is small, if it's right at the church, you might not feel the pressure (inward or from others) to have the youth at your home like you might if you were in a house 20 minutes away.