Friday, March 28, 2008

Servant-in-law


What we have here is a clean, weed-free flowerbed. Looking at it now, you would never know that we let it go all winter. How did it get this way, you might ask? It was none of my doings, I can assure you. I just arrived home from work yesterday and found it this way. And there in my front yard was the culprit -- none other than my sweet mother-in-law.

She and Gunter had the flowerbed pretty much all cleaned out by the time I got there. Gunter had gone inside to get a shower, and I found Mrs. Gwen digging a small trench to bury the wire for our garden lights. The worship rally leader and I had a VBS clinic to catch in Opp, so we left her there working away. I'm not sure what all she did after we left, but I know she repotted a flower she gave me last year that I had just about killed.

The absolute least I could do was feed her supper, which I did. Here is the recipe I used:


Ingredients:
1 local phone book
1 phone
mode of payment of your choice
1 plastic bag
1 4-hole drink holder
1 mode of transportation
3 straws
napkins
plastic utensils


Directions:
Call restaraunt 10-15 minutes before leaving work. Place order and leave last name. Drive to restaurant and pick up food, being careful not to drop anything on way to car. Carefully place food and drink holder in passenger-side floorboard and check frequently while driving home. Place on kitchen table, insert straws into drink lids, open plastic utensils, serve and enjoy.


Does anybody else have family like this? I'm blessed to say that I lots of caring, giving family members like my mother-in-law who humble me and challenge me to be more caring and giving. When I told my friends at work about this, all they could say was, "She must LOVE you!"

So now I have a clean flowerbed and one item checked off my list. Here are a few more photos I took this morning. Can you tell I like close-ups?


No comments: