Monday, March 17, 2008

Finer 'n frog hair


Thought I'd share a visual update on Gunter's hair. Already, his strength seems to be returning, and he's pretty much able to go and do as he used to. Today, he spent the whole day visiting dear friends in the hospital, and then we went walking on the road this evening. He held up so much better than the last time. I had to walk fast to keep up with his long strides. (Our side of the highway is being paved and painted, so it's closed to the main traffic. I sort of wish it would stay that way -- it's a lot more peaceful.)

I'm going with Gunter tomorrow to be "deported." Hopefully, we'll never need that port again. He'll have a nice scar to remember it by, but the bump he so enjoys freaking people out with will be gone.

Friday night, we saw "Horton Hears a Who" at the theater in town. It was right up my alley! Attendees included a bunch of little kids, their parents and us. It was lots of fun. I'm looking forward to several movies coming out in the next few months, one of which is "Get Smart." Benjamin and I loved to watch that show on Nick at Nite when we were little, and I anticipate that Steve Carell will be absolutely hilarious.

We spent part of the weekend decluttering, and I feel good about it, though we've only put a dent in our real clutter. Maybe next weekend, we can tackle the (cue scary music here) laundry room and the "junk" room! When two packrats live together, it's a dangerous situation. Weather permitting, we might just clean up flowerbeds instead. We would have started on that last weekend, but it was so windy, we would have gotten Round Up poisoning and would have had to call the poison center...again...

In closing, I was reminded three times in the past two days how precious the real things in life are. One example: A couple in our church has a high-school-aged grandson who has struggled with a rare blood disorder, has had a transplant and now is fighting all sorts of complications. His mom made a post to his Web page today about how excited he is that his doctor gave him the "okay" to go fishing, as long as someone else baits the hook and removes the fish. We take so much for granted. I'm thankful for reminders to be thankful.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey you two! I'm so glad you found my blog so we can keep up with each other. More importantly, I'm was so excited to hear that Gunter is in remission! Woo hoo! Now, if we can just get Neil better...

Charlie's growing fast and he's a character but what else would you expect from the son of Daniel! :) Hope things continue to get better. There were many prayers said at this house for the Akridges. Talk to you soon.