Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Deported

Dr. Vermillion removed Gunter's port yesterday, and everything went well. He's a little sore today, understandably, but that's about it. Would you believe that I actually sat in the room during the surgery and didn't pass out?! I did feel a little lightheaded just from seeing the gauze (starting to feel it again), but I was okay because I couldn't really see much of what was going on. People who know what a medical wimp I am know how much I have improved over the past year...at least as an observer, probably not so much if I were the patient.

We brought the port home as a souvineer -- weird, I know. Here it is.





While were were at the hospital, we stopped by to see Neil Grantham's family. Neil, who graduated from high school with us, was in a terrible car accident about three weeks ago, and he's been in critical condition ever since. Dr. Vermillion is taking care of Neil, and he says he's making progress, slowly but surely. He has a tremendous amount of support -- when we got to the sixth floor, we found a waiting room full of people! His family seems strong and optimistic. Neil and DeAnn had only been married for about six months before the accident, and she's MORE than hanging in there. It must be so hard. Life is a vapor, even for those of us in our 20s. But life is also a joy, and it seems as though Neil's family is embracing joy and love -- trusting in the hope that prayers bring. Check out his blog on my "Links" list, and please say a prayer for him and his family.

1 comment:

The Reeds said...

I know Gunter is SO excited to be port-free! I love that both of our men were Deported the same month!