Thursday, January 3, 2008

New Year's reflections

Happy New Year (a few days into 2008)! Gunter and I celebrated New Year’s Eve by going to bed at 9:00. I was clued in that 2008 had arrived when we heard our down-the-road neighbors shooting fireworks. They only shot two rounds of what sounded more like firecrackers, not giving me enough time to get up and look out the window. At some point, my sweet friends Lola N. and Karen B. sent text messages wishing me a happy new year, but I was so sleepy, I didn’t check them until the next morning.

I have no reason to complain about this going-to-bed-early routine. A full night’s rest has been a rare luxury since long before my college days, simply because I get up terribly early and I don’t always like to stop what I’m doing and go to bed on time. Gunter likes his rest, so he encourages me to relax and rest, too. My daddy is always telling me to get some rest — the man who often has to get up at crazy times to be there for someone who’s having surgery or drive all night on trips while everyone else sleeps.

I really do have the best parents. On New Year’s Day, it’s tradition to go to Mama’s house for meatloaf, cabbage, black-eyed peas and corn bread. This year, New Year’s Day fell the day after Gunter’s chemo #8, so Mama and Daddy decided to bring the tradition to our house. There they came in the freezing wind up our front porch steps, carrying a spread fit to feed five families.

Of course, we’re certainly not lacking as far as other family members go, either. We’d be fortunate to have only one good set of parents, but instead, we have three. We have a loving and supportive extended family, as well as people we consider family who are of no blood relation. People are constantly taking their time to not only let us know they care, but to also bring our names before the throne of the Almighty.

I have learned so much about love this year from selfless people. I’m beginning to understand what true love is made of, not just being drawn to someone but making sacrifices for another’s benefit that they couldn’t possibly repay…or even know about in this life. Jesus, the embodiment of love, said: “Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.” (John 15:13) Sorry, but it often takes life experiences for lessons like this to sink in for me.

I’m very proud of my husband. Since his Lymphoma appeared in July, last night was the first time he’s missed church simply because he felt too bad to go. When I think about what he’s been through, any complaint or excuse I make sounds empty. I mean, the week after his mass became visible, he drove an overheated van full of youth to Memphis, worked in the heat all week long, slept on the floor and stretched out on a concrete driveway for a day to replace an alternator. I’m also very thankful we have people at the church who will step up at a moment’s notice and fill in for us (Shelia S. was willing last night, as always).

In other news, things have really picked up at work. My company is now officially sporting a new corporate identity, complete with a new name and a new employee newsletter. Helping with that project has been fun, but now it’s getting hectic as we field more and more questions. I expect it’s probably just a warm-up for the rest of the year. Lots going on, lots of changes, lots to be learned.

I don’t know what God’s plan is for 2008, but I am certain He will be faithful, just as He always has been. I want to be closer to Him, love Him more and live out His mission for me every day. I like to look back and see the traces of His hand in every situation. I want to recognize that more in the present, to open my eyes and see where He’s working.

No comments: