Friday, January 4, 2008

Update after chemo #8

For those of you keeping up with Gunter’s progress, I guess I do need to write more of an update than I have. Healthwise, Gunter is doing very well. His blood counts are good, though all the sickness going around is still cause for concern. We’ve been fortunate so far. I don’t think he’s ever gone so long without common illnesses.

Last night, he started feeling a little better after spending the week recovering from treatment #8. This week, he’s had the common side effects, along with a few mild episodes of his heart beating hard and fast. His treatment nurse says that’s normal. He also seems to be experiencing some nerve damage from the “V” part of the chemo. Hopefully, those nerves will repair themselves after Gunter’s treatments are done.

He’s sick of being stuck in the house all week after each treatment, and I’m sick of it for him. I don’t like not having an easy remedy. Four more treatments to go.

On the bright side, I had an encouraging talk with Cheryl W. at work yesterday. I’m so glad that God sends people my way when I need a change in perspective. Cheryl reminded me that God does have a plan in everything and that He’s working his plan just as he pleases.

I read an entry from a blog yesterday that helped me better understand what Gunter is going through. The link to the page is below, and I’ve also added a link to his site on my “Links” list. His descriptiveness and ability to convey his thoughts are excellent. Please be warned — he tells it like it is and slips a “choice” word in here and there. Still, maybe reading his site will help you understand what AVBD chemo feels like, if you’re one of the fortunate who have never experienced it firsthand.

http://www.preservationrecords.com/blog/entry.asp?ENTRY_ID=140

No comments: