Sunday, January 20, 2008

20-year anniversary

We made it through another "bad week"! Gunter is doing well. We're praying that his body holds up well through these last three treatments and that the side effects will not worsen or throw any surprises on us. We're also praying for patience. Three more treatments might not sound like a lot, but we're so tired of this mess! Please forgive my complaining. I know it could be MUCH worse, and I know that God really has shielded us from so much. He is the reason we've fared so well, and it will only be by His power that we can have hope to move on.

I'll be helping with a conference for work this week, and I'm so thankful it fell on a "good" week. I hate being away from home when Gunter feels bad.

Thursday, I'll celebrate my 20th anniversary of being part of God's family! On January 24, 1988, God saved me in a little church in Donaldsonville, Georgia, at the age of almost 5. Even though I still needed a lifetime of polishing (still do), my parents say I was a different child after that day. I used to be jealous of people with powerful testimonies -- people who sold drugs, kicked cats and robbed grocery stores before they met Jesus and He radically changed their lives. But God has a unique plan for everyone. He draws us to Himself in His own time. Now, as I look back, I am deeply thankful that God drew me when He did. Though I made plenty of mistakes and rebelled from time to time, I know His presence in my life spared me from so much pain I could have caused myself. I grew up knowing God, and I am thankful that I can't remember when He wasn't there.

The Christian life is a great love story. It's an adventure. Life has its ups and downs, but with God, it is truly abundant. If you don't know what I'm talking about, I urge you to ask God about it. He wants to be your hero, your friend, your comforter, your peace and joy.

I sang a song today in church by Nichole Nordeman called "I Am." I changed the lyrics around on the kids part, but you get the idea.

http://www.lyricsdownload.com/nichole-nordeman-i-am-lyrics.html

2 comments:

The Reeds said...

Bethany, I didn't know you could sing! Wow! I love the lyrics! Maybe we can get together next time you come to Montgomery. We're praying for yall:)

The Stanleys said...

Thank you for the song that you sang Sunday, it was truly a blessing. (You should sing more often.) You and Gunter are such an important part of our church and to MY FAMILY. You both are good christian examples for Caleb and Ethan and the other young people of the church. I am glad to know that my children have somebody like you both leading and molding them in their Christian lives. I am so glad that God sent you to us.
We love you both,
Glennie, Shelia, Caleb and Ethan