Thursday, June 18, 2009

Queen for a few more days

I’ve spent the past few nights at Mama and Daddy’s house because Gunter left me.

Wait, that doesn’t sound right.

What I mean is, he left home to take the youth on a beach retreat, so I’m vacationing at the parents’ house this week. Gunter recanted after what happened a few weeks ago and told me that I could stay at home by myself if I wanted to, but I figured it would ease a few minds if I had more supervision.

What everybody forgets, though, is that I was never alone. Bailey was there the whole time. I think she knows karate.

Staying with Mom and Dad takes me back to my last few days of college and the year before Gunter and I got married. I was doing about the same thing I am this week -- driving the same route to work, talking to Gunter on the phone each night and being treated like a queen. I think my queen status might have even been upped this week because it’s only for a few days and because I’m carrying around a large ball of grandbaby.

Mom even stole the dirty clothes out of my room.

I’m pretty sure that, soon enough, Bailey will think Grandmama and Grandaddy’s house is the happiest place on Earth when she is treated like a queen here, just as I thought my grandparents’ house was better ‘n Disney World. I’ve heard from others that my queenly days at this residence are numbered according to the arrival of the next generation of spoiled-rotten grandbabies.

We'll see. Maybe they'll at least still like me here.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

They, along with everyone else you know, will hardly notice you once Bailey comes along. You'll be lucky to get a hug when you see them! But, you won't care because the pure joy on their faces when they see that baby is worth the neglect.

Anonymous said...

Will I ignore you once the baby gets here? Let me see...can I live with my heart ripped out? No way! My girl is my heart...but I have got plenty to go around. My heart multi-tasks!

Love,
Daddy

Anonymous said...

Bet,
You will just be promoted to "Queen Mother" when the little "Princess" arrives. I hope you always feel like you get the "royal" treatment at our house. We love you!
Momma