Friday, June 5, 2009

Life as a delinquent

I got this in my e-mail today. Can you believe that Facebook called me out like that?




They even included a link to the login page, in case I had forgotten.

Sorry, Facebook! I really do appreciate your constantly letting me know what other people in the world are doing, as well as letting them in on my life, but I've just had more pressing things to do lately than peruse you. Sorry, online buddies! My not logging on to Facebook does not mean you are not important to me.

It reminded me of the time during my senior year of college when a journalism professor called my cell phone to tell me that my classmates were wondering if I was coming back to class. He didn't have an attendance policy, and I was completing all my assignments by deadline. I just thought my time would be better spent getting something beneficial done that day (such as driving to a nearby city to cover a story for The Alabama Baptist newspaper) than having the online notes read to me.

By the way, let this be no bad reflection on Troy (State, at the time) University. This was the only journalism class I didn't enjoy.

Anyway, the call was my professor's nice way of saying, "Technically, you don't have to be here, but it would be nice if you would grace us with your presence every once in a while."

Sometimes, you just gotta pick and choose. That day, $100 in my pocket ranked above an hour of note-reading, no matter how well known was the weatherman reading them.

But the next class day, I showed up with just a hint of chagrin.

I'll clean up my mess soon, Facebook. You've shamed me into it.

No comments: