Friday, April 25, 2008

Tag, you're it!

This is one of those surveys for people like me who love to read about other people's lives, no matter how random the questions. My friend April tagged me, so I've tagged a few of you at the end. Come on, play along!

What was I doing 10 years ago?
Ten years ago, I was getting ready to go to the Elba High School junior/senior prom with my dear friend Bucky Carlile. I was finishing up my freshman year and was about a month away from getting my driver's permit.

5 things on my to-do list today:
This does not represent my typical day, but here they are:
1. Balance my checkbook -- A task I loathe and fear, because it never quite works out. Dave Ramsey (I'll blog about him later) says I should balance my checkbook to the penny every month, but I just can't do it! (Sorry, Mom, I know you tried to teach me when I was at home, but I am just not able.)
2. Go to staff meeting at 3 p.m.
3. Clean my office and turn on my out-of-office assistant
4. Leave for the beach!!! (I'll blog about this later, also.)
5. Call Benjamin and sing, "Happy Birthday"

5 snacks I enjoy:
1. Baked Lays potato chips, plain
2. Boiled peanuts (not TOO salty, please)
3. Chocolate pudding (really, anything chocolate)
4. French fries
5. Fruit

5 things I would do if I were a billionaire:
1. Give to the church and worthy causes (THANK YOU for the billion dollars, Lord!)
2. Travel, travel, travel
3. Let all our parents retire immediately, if they so chose
4. Pay off others' debts
5. Build several dream houses and invite people to visit

5 bad habits:
1. Wasting time/procrastinating
2. Running late (usually due to bad habit #1)
3. Reading too much into things
4. Collecting clutter
5. Putting my foot in my mouth

5 places I have lived:
1. Dothan, Alabama -- Until I was 3 or 4 maybe?
2. Donalsonville, Georgia -- Through kindergarten
3. Cottonwood, Alabama -- First and second grades
4. Elba, Alabama -- From 3rd grade until I went to college, then moved back in with Mom and Dad for 11 months until Gunter and I got married
5. Troy, Alabama -- Ah, the good ol' college days! I lived on the first floor of Shackelford Hall, right beside the front door for all four years.

5 jobs I've had or have:
1. Swimming lessons teacher -- I started my first job the summer after my 7th grade year and taught with Mrs. Pearlie every summer until my sophomore year in college. Those were good times and hard work! I bet plenty of kids have nightmares about me to this day.
2. Elba Nursing Home Activities Department -- Gunter, Benjamin and I worked this job for a summer or two and one Christmas holiday. I wish I could still wear scrubs to work. We entertained the residents and had plenty of adventures.
3. Intern for The Greenville Advocate -- This was the summer I cut my journalism teeth. I learned about interviewing, writing, photography and layout. I thoroughly enjoyed myself but had my first car accident on the way to work one morning.
4. Troy State University (back then) Writing Center tutor -- I loved being in the writing center, and I loved Mrs. Bassett. I also liked helping students with their writing, but I didn't enjoy the citing and style stuff.
5. Editor of the Tropolitan, official student newspaper of Troy State University -- One of the most fun and challenging jobs ever. The biggest perks were the people and pizza on Wednesday nights (thank you, Mr. Warden!), besides all that learning and maturing. I won't mention the tough parts of the job...you notice that I didn't go to work for a newspaper after college.

5 people I want to know more about (you're tagged!):
Let me just go ahead and tag everyone who reads my blog and the people whose blogs you'll find under "Links" on the right side of the screen -- that means you, Gunter, Melissa, Penny and Lisa!

3 comments:

The Reeds said...

You taught swimming lessions too? Did you have to catch them when they jumped off the diving board? NOT FUN! haha!
Have a great week, and thanks for playing the "tagged" game!

Unknown said...

Check my blog...I did the questionnaire just for you! :)

bethany@sippinsweetteablog said...

Ah, swimming lessons. Yet another thing we have in common, April! :-) I didn't have to catch them when they jumped off the diving board, but I did have to take them to the bottom of the deep end to pick up rings.