Monday, January 19, 2009

Weekend run-down

Today is one of those got-the-full-six-pack-but-not-the-plastic-thingy-to-hold-it-together kind of days. I’ll be out of town at a work conference the next few days, so today was about my best bet for getting a blog posted this week.

Here’s the weekend run-down:

Friday
Beginning of my eating guilt trip. Though I’ve been eating pretty much nonstop for the past week, at least I mostly stuck to foods that were halfway nutritional. Until lunch with good friends from Opp...unless, of course, you consider beef, bread, fries and ice cream “nutritional.” Friday night, had a wonderful supper with parents, Dear Grandmother and Aunt Pam. The shrimp might as well have fallen from Heaven.

Is it common for food to taste this good during the first trimester? I sure hope my first and second trimesters didn’t get flip-flopped. If they did, I’m in for a rude awakening in a few weeks.

Saturday
Gunter served as sightreading judge for all-state band tryouts in Andalusia. I started out hiding behind his partition with a good book and a bag of Cheerios but ended up as a runner (no actual running required) for his room. It brought me back to the old days when we tried out for all-state band, though I’ve never seen it from the judges’ side. I remembered how nervous I was standing in line in the crowded concrete-block hallways. How we listened through the doors as others played before us. The thrill of beating the cocky boy beside me in line. Ah, memories.

Mexican food with Gunter’s sister and stepmom for lunch.

Saturday evening, we made a quick trip to Granny and PawPaw’s house in Dothan to see my first cousin and her family who had just returned to the States from Japan. Sarah is only 6 months younger than I am, so we used to play together a lot when we were little. Six months younger than me, and now she has a husband, two sweet little girls and a house. It made me so happy to see how her life is turning out.

Hers is my Filipino side of the family, so it’s always fun to be around that bunch of women.

Supper: Southern/Filipino homecooking.


Sunday
Church, and then Mellow Mushroom. Salad’s got to have his or her share of cheese, olives and crust, right? I tried to balance out the feta cheese with spinach and tomato sauce. At home, I attempted to watch “Mama Mia” while doing laundry but had to turn it off not even halfway through to keep from going crazy. I don’t make laundry a habit on Sunday afternoon, but my ox was in a ditch…a ditch piled high with laundry on every side.

Sunday night: choir practice, discipleship, church, Ramen noodles and a microwaved sweet potato. Strangely felt like the healthiest thing I’d had all weekend. Tried to watch one of my Muppet movies while finishing laundry since “Mama Mia” didn’t work out. We both fell asleep on the couch. Missed the last rinse cycle and the answer to the great mystery of where Gonzo really came from.

More exciting commentary as the week progresses.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bet,

I had to check twice to see if it was true...but it is! I gained 4 pounds just reading your blog!

I would say this: Mamma Mia you need some rest!!!!

Daddy

Melissa said...

Haha! I'm glad you're enjoying your first trimester. I actually lost about six pounds during mine—not good! You lucky dawg.