Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I got a nickel, I got a nickel, I got a nickel, hey hey hey hey!

Never underestimate the power of a yard sale.
(No, this photo is not our money, but we did make some.)

I started out at 6 a.m. Saturday with a bunch of stuff I needed to get rid of and ended up with an almost-heat stroke, a carload of stuff for the Christian Mission and $163! Those nickels and dimes add up.

I believe Saturday was the hottest, most humid day of the year, but I still enjoyed myself. Counting money makes me nervous, but I love getting to talk with people and send things home with them. One young woman bought a bunch of houseware-type stuff because she was looking to fix up her new house. Warmed my heart. She also took some skirts with her that I knew were too small for either one of us.

The most exciting part of the day was when a mini-van pulled up and out piled six very enthusiastic children and one patient, godly grandmother/foster mom. I would have given anything I had to them for free, but I think she was seizing the opportunity to teach them how to buy things with their own money.

The most popular items were probably knick-knacks and Christmas decorations. The least popular were probably shoes, clothes and purses. I was surprised that we sold some of Mama’s books from elementary science teacher workshops.

The weirdest item we sold? A fox tail keychain that Gunter walked around wearing like an Amish beard, with one end hooked over his ear and the other under his cap. I wish I had taken a picture to show, but I was too grossed out at the time.

As I start to pack our things to move, I bet I’ll run across enough excess stuff to have a whole ‘nuther yard sale…but I can only handle one per summer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girl, you are too funny! Glad the yard sale was a success. We can't wait for you guys to get moved so you will be closer!!!! Have a great day! Jill

Melissa said...

I'll give you a pickle for a nickel! :) Sounds like your sale was a great success. Thanks for the update—too much fun!

Sherry said...

You're so cute! So glad you had a successful sale. It's amazing what people will or will not buy. One thing for sure, a yard sale is a lot of work!