Friday, January 23, 2009

Sense of adventure

I’ve worked in a new cubicle for several months now, and I still have no decoration, unless you count my boots, hardhat and various binders. I don’t look at the space often because I have my back to most of it all day. But I’ve decided it’s about time to make my “office” a little more appealing to the eyes.

As my first step toward that end, I was browsing for photos to put in frames when I realized how much fun the past few years have been. Even the times that were not so fun were full of life. The same feeling rushed over me that I get every year when that first feeling of spring graces a Lower Alabama morning.

And then I wondered, where has my sense of adventure gone? My thrill for everyday life? I guess it never completely disappeared, but it’s been sort of squeezed out of my mind during the past few weeks.

Does becoming accountable for another human life cause a girl to go from just that to being a “responsible adult” who hasn’t the time or the brainpower to think of anything other than that responsibility? Must insurance, daycare, breadwinning and preparation attach themselves to the soul and weigh it down like lead coats? As a child grows, must life begin to grow more serious?

Uh oh. I think my worry-wart personality has taken over.

The planner in me wants to know what life will be like after the baby is born. Right now, I want to be completely prepared for everything and know all there is to know about properly providing for and raising a child while fulfilling the roles of wife, ministry helper and all-around perfect woman.

HAHAHAHAHA I believe I have finally met my match…again.

Have I ever been able to predict life? No. Has everything always turned out okay, WONDERFUL even, by God’s hand? Yes.

What would I do if God had not provided a very non-worry-wart husband and examples of his faithfulness for this irrational girl to remember? I was never meant to clench my own burdens in one hand and joy in the other. You know what I’m getting at.

For every new experience and every uncharted stage, He makes life abundant. He is my great adventure and my happy ending.

At least for today, I'm ready to ride off into the sunset, though I'm sure He'll have to sweep me out of my fuddy-duddy mindset again before it's all over.


"...I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly." John 10:10

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Parenthood: A great adventure. Your life is soon to change in ways that you could never imagine. For one thing, you will be astonished that you could possibly love this little person so much.

Blessings, Sweetie!