Monday, November 17, 2008

The secret to happy Sunday evenings

I have this problem with Sunday evenings. Round about 3:30, I hit a slump that I sometimes can’t shake until Monday morning. Maybe it’s the weight of the week to come and the knowledge that my happy weekend is waning. Maybe it’s that the sun goes down and I lose that Vitamin D energy.

Or maybe it’s that I’m supposed to rest on Sunday afternoons…meaning no work to keep me busy…meaning that I conk out as soon as I get still...and then as the clock strikes 3:30, I attempt to snap into a chipper, alert state for choir practice, discipleship training and church. If you’ve ever woken me up from a nap, you understand why waking up and coming in contact with people 30 minutes later is a dangerous thing for all parties involved.

To my credit, I’m a morning person. I’m neither mean nor delirious when I get up in the morning. At least I don't think I am.

But the later in the day I fall asleep, the scarier it becomes to wake me up. It’s like Dr. Jekyll becomes Mrs. Hyde. I lash out and don’t even remember what I’ve said or why. After several occurrences last week, I decided I will avoid falling asleep on the couch like the plague because it’s a real detriment to my marriage. And that pretty much means not sitting down at all after about 6 p.m. Sometimes what I say is not necessarily mean but just bizarre. Even after 2½ years of blessed matrimony, Gunter has not gotten used to it.

Back to Sundays. I believe I have discovered the secret to a happy Sunday evening – Diet Coke. It’s as simple as that, my friends. It’s already solved my problem with staying awake in meetings, and now it has become my secret weapon to battling the Sunday evening slump.


Allow me to recount what led to this discovery. Gunter and I had lunch with the Dyes at The Mellow Mushroom yesterday, and everybody knows the greatest drink with pizza is Diet Coke (just like you can’t eat fine Mexican cuisine without sweet tea). So, I downed one Diet Coke at the restaurant and brought home a to-go cup. Gunter had a seminary test to take, so he spent the afternoon at church, and I was left home alone with the sun streaming in the windows...under the covers in bed…reading. With the aid of my handy-dandy Diet Coke, I didn’t come close to nodding off. Miraculous!

So maybe one successful Sunday afternoon is not enough to deem Diet Coke my secret weapon, but it’s a start. And don’t worry, I won’t become an all-out addict. Secret weapons must be used sparingly or they wouldn’t be secret weapons.

5 comments:

Heather said...

They're also not "secret" if you tell everyone about them. Haha. :)
I wish Diet Coke would have that effect on me. I think I've built up an immunity to caffeine.
And I don't see you being a Mrs. Hyde!

Joni said...

I'm all about a Diet Coke too...actually a Diet Dr. Pepper, but they both do the trick. However, just have kids & you won't have to worry about Sunday afternoon naps anymore!

penny said...

Don't Drink the Coke...sleep and enjoy your naps... like a previous poster said.... you will not need a distraction once kids enter your home... sleep for me too!!! or better yet come watch our kids on sunday afternoons and I will sleep!!! lol:) and congrats on your good news....we are thrilled for you guys...God is soo good to us!!!

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

I have a confession.

I'm an all out addict.

In fact, when I used to attend a SS class instead of teach one, the popping of my coke can signalled the beginning of class. I'm not kidding at all. :))

I pretty predictable that way..:)

Sherry said...

What would we do in America without our cokes - or sodas in general??

I like Pepsi and my hubs likes Dr. Pepper. When we are on a cruise ship (they only sell Coke and Sprite) and being loyal "drinkers" of P & DP, we bring our own "stash" on board. They don't care since they don't sell it.

Hope diet Coke continues to work for you!