Thursday, November 6, 2008

50 words kids think you don't know

Mom tore this article out of the October 2008 AARP magazine. I thought it was hilarious! It also made me feel not so out-of-touch.


*The terms, definitions and usages published in this article do not necessarily reflect the views of this Blogger. This is merely for entertainment purposes.

Let’s make a game out of it! See how many you can define before looking at the definition, and leave a comment about how you did. (By the way, you won’t see all 50 because I left out “Britishisms.”)
Online
crackberry: nickname for a BlackBerry, the addictive phone, e-mail device and general digital gadget
google: to use a search engine, especially Google
vlog: a Web log of video entries
webisode: a video short produced specifically for Internet viewing

Text message decoder
BFF: best friends forever
IDK: I don’t know
LOL: laughing out loud
OMG: oh my gosh
ROFL: rolling on the floor laughing
TMI: too much information

Fashion
bling: sparkly jewelry, often gaudy
tatted out: covered in tattoos
tramp stamp: a tattoo on a woman’s lower back, designed for viewing between low-riding jeans and short T-shirts
scooby doos: good shoes
soul patch: a small tuft of beard under a male’s lower lip, usually with the rest of the face clean-shaven

Love
baby mama: the mother of one’s children, usually not a spouse
boo: boyfriend or girlfriend
cougar: an older woman who dates younger men
cupcaking: engaging in a public display of affection
flirtationship: a prolonged flirtation with an acquaintance, not involving physical contact

Friends
brodown: boys’ night out
bromance: a close but platonic relationship between two men
frenemy: a friend-enemy, someone close to you who often hurts your feelings or competes
noob: a newcomer, especially one in online gaming
peeps: people; one’s closest friends or family

Music
crunk: a hip-hop genre
disco nap: a short nap before a night out clubbing
emo: a softcore punk genre and its subculture of angsty teen fans
mash up: to take elements of existing pieces of music, usually of different genres, and combine them in a new song; also the resulting song

Actions
check vitals: to monitor one’s e-mail, cellphone, voicemail and other electronics
floss: to show off your wealth, often in a car
friend: to add as a contact on a social networking Web site
jump the shark: to have peaked and now be on a downward slide
rock: to manifest greatness
talk smack: to speak negatively or belittle a person, often in the heat of competition

Affirmations
fo’shizzle: certainly
obvi: obviously
totes: totally

Descriptors
the bomb: an ultimate favorite
off the chain: the bomb
ridonkulous: beyond ridiculous
sick: extremely cool
tight: fantastic
wack: unjustifiable

The end
badonkadonk: an attractive derriere

Sadly, I knew what “badonkadonk” means, but I had never actually seen or heard “derriere.”

4 comments:

Heather said...

This had me ROFL...haha.
I had never heard some of them.
P.S. I LOVED the disclaimer at the beginning. Great stuff.

Christi said...

I'm still not over the fact that this was in AARP magazine! I guess it's a guide to help "old" folks (like me) talk to the younger generation. I hope you made Gunter a cheat sheet :)

Melissa said...

Is our degree of oldness directly proportionate to the number of up-to-date slang words we know at any given time? If so, judging by the number of words I know in this article I'm not as old as I thought. Although, I'm not exactly proud to admit it. I knew what "badonkadonk" meant too. Too bad!

Anonymous said...

I knew most of them too but I'm confused as to why "Jump the Shark" is listed as a youth phase that adults might not know. Jump the Shark is a reference to one of the later episodes of Happy Days when The Fonz jumped a shark on water skis. I would have thought that would be a phrase adults know and kids don't.