Thursday, June 5, 2008

Antiques

Last night, we visited a cabin where some dear friends live. Mr. Milford, now in his 70s, recently built the cabin himself. The warm scent of untreated wood greeted us as we walked in the door. He and his wife decorated the inside with various antiques, some found at flea markets and some recovered from family barns. The couple pointed out several pieces of farm equipment hung on the walls that Mr. Milford had used on his family's garden when he was growing up.

But before we saw the cabin, he showed us his new black motorcycle. Go figure.

Back to talking about "old" stuff, I love history, stories and antiques (and junk most people wouldn't call "antiques"). It got me thinking... When we're in our 70s or older, what will be considered "antiques"? What will hang on the walls of our cabins and country restaurants from right now, from our time gone by? Treasured items from my childhood differ quite a bit from Mr. Milford's plow, but here are some ideas...

A plastic DuckTales lunchbox and thermos, just like I took to kindergarten


Some sort of Apple computer, on which we used to play...


...Oregon Trail!

There's no telling how many My Little Pony toys and Barbies I had.

And don't forget those stylish pink jelly shoes I HAD to wear until my toes scrunched up at the ends.

Funny how items from the 80s are now called "vintage."

1 comment:

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

Target now sells jelly shoes just like those for $2.50